Tuesday, July 20, 2010

When will Justice be achieved...

Ive been doing lots of research. Which to most is nothing new. I have recently been researching the topic of child soldiers. It is the topic I think I will be doing my capstone project on. I was reading on a websites, and there is a quote of a child who was made to be a child soldier...

"I've seen people get their hands cut off, a ten year old girl raped and and die, and so many men and women burned alive...So many times I cried inside my heart because I didn't dare cry out loud", said a 14 year old girl abducted in Janueary 2000 by the Revolutionary United Front an armed group in Sierra Leona.

It makes me sick to my stomach. It aggrivates the mess out of me, that kids are facing these situations day in and day out. The statistics make you sick.


In the 1990's
-2 million killed
-4-5 million displaced
-12 million homeless
-1 million orphaned or displaced from their family
-10 million psychologically traumatized

Some other statistics,
-It is believed that there are over 300,000 child soldiers under the age of 18.
-The youngest child soldiers are around 7 years old (how old is you child? or your cousin? or your brother?...)
-Over 50 countries currently recruit/abduct children to be soldiers.

There is a rage that rises up within me when I read things like this. We know its out there...what will we do? Once you have been made aware of the problem, it becomes your responsibility to do something about it.



**picture taken from http://library.thinkquest.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment